Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Self-fulfilling Prophecy

My friend Rockstar has been talking for years about self-fulfilling prophecies. I love this concept. That a phrase can actually impact your actions. For example, if I say "I'm going to have a bad day", I may actually do things unconsciously throughout the day to make my day worse that it would have been otherwise. If, on the other hand, I wake up and say "It's going to be a good day", I may actually do things that make my day slightly better. Like meditation or positive thinking. Whatever you throw out into the world that's what you'll get back.

If I'm positive, positive things will happen to me.
If I do my best and work hard, I'll be rewarded in my career.
If I'm a nice person, nice people will surround me.
If I think I'm pretty, I'll walk taller, smile bigger and I will be prettier and people will notice.

I'm not always good at doing this. It's easy to let negativity or fear lead you away from a positive, optimistic place.

Since I've been back from Africa, I keep saying I'm shocked about how long after my return that I've enjoyed the calmness you get from going away. But It's been two weeks since I've been back and I'm starting to think that it's just inside me now. I'm choosing to believe that I'm a calm, relaxed person who can let petty irritants roll off her back. Someone who rolls with the work drama but keeps her emotions from rolling along with it. So far I've been able to do this for two weeks and without even trying! I find myself extra happy for the good fortune of others. I'm more patient at work. I'm more willing to be helpful. I'm happy and I think I have better perspective on things.

Don't get me wrong, I have had both stressful and irritating moments since I've been back but the recovery time seems to have shortened.

I'm choosing to believe that inside of me is the wide open space of the African landscape, the fresh air, the calmness and peace. And it will stay there for as long as I choose to keep it there.

**Update: It appears that the peaceful wide open space inside does get bad weather from time to time... especially when it's not fed regularly or is dealing with incompetent salespeople. eeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment