Wednesday, June 9, 2010

God save the Queen!

Samburu is considered central Kenya and is semi-arid. According to our guide, anything north of Samburu is mostly desert. Our ride up from the Trout Tree was quite peaceful. Over the two weeks, we spent countless hours driving just looking out the windows at the landscape, the people and the livestock. You'd think that would get old and I'm amazed to say it really never did.

On our way up to Samburu we passed a large British military base. We were instructed shortly after our arrival not to take photos of government buildings, police and military. And after seeing those big guns, we were 100% compliant.

Michael was our Kenya guide. When Joseph, the other van's guide, would call him on the CB it sounded like "My-KEL" with his accent. That always gave us a giggle. Anyway, My-KEL seemed very knowledgeable & interested in Kenyan politics. He told us that the country needs the British military support because they don't have enough money in the government to pay for a Kenyan military. He said that Kenya is independent from the British technically but "until we don't have to rely on the British military we will never really be independent". ahh... it was so genuine it was a little sad. Then I learned that Somalia bordered Kenya, has no government and is a safe haven for terrorists... and all of a sudden I was less sad for My-KEL and more grateful for each British soldier we passed on our drive. Thanks to mother England.

***addition to the last post about the Trout Tree: An ice cold Tusker Beer is awesome. And coming from someone who doesn't drink much beer, this is saying something. Apparently, when you mix Tusker with sprite it actually has a name in Kenya. Unfortunately, I don't remember that name. BUT I highly recommend everyone try it. It's delicious! Like a Tusker Spritzer! At least that's what I'll call it in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment