where did I leave you? I believe we were on our way to Lake Naivasha.
You wouldn't believe how much we packed into this day. We drove to Thompson Falls where we stopped for literally a 5 minute visit. Just enough time to get out, take some pictures and get back in the van. Thompson falls is a 246 foot single drop over a volcanic ledge & clearly a popular place for class trips too.
You wouldn't believe how much we packed into this day. We drove to Thompson Falls where we stopped for literally a 5 minute visit. Just enough time to get out, take some pictures and get back in the van. Thompson falls is a 246 foot single drop over a volcanic ledge & clearly a popular place for class trips too.
From Africa or Bust |
| From Africa or Bust |
As we dashed from the falls to Lake Nakuru for lunch, we drove through the Great Rift Valley. Formed 10-20 million years ago by an earthquake, it runs 5400 miles long from Lebanon to Mozambique. Because of its volcanic ash soil many animal and human fossils are found here.
After about an hour and a half we arrive in Lake Nakuru, have a quick buffet lunch and hit the lake for an afternoon game drive. What have we been waiting all trip to see??? Flamingos!! Known for its bird population, Lake Nakuru has millions of Flamingos! Imagine that... millions. And it's also one of the best places to see the white rhino. As we drove closer and closer to the edge of the beach I wondered how close we'd really get. All of a sudden, we stopped, parked and Michael got out! What? We're getting out of the car? It was freaking awesome! Being out of the car, on foot with nature herself... it was like we were kids let out of the stroller in a toy store.
| From Africa or Bust |
| From Africa or Bust |
Fun Fact: The white flamingos are white because they live in fresh water, algae free. Pink flamingos live in salt water and eat algae.
After our afternoon game drive, seeing lots of very cool birds, the white rhino, giraffe and lots of zebras we head out to our lodge, the Lake Naivasha Simba Lodge. This was the most lovely part of Kenya we've seen. Paved, lined roads, modern hospitals, homes and farmland. If you were to choose a place to live in Kenya, you'd live here. Michael told us that Nakuru was the home town of their first President. In order to secure votes Kenyatta gave the town and its residents a lot of money. He called Kenyatta a "president who ruled as a dictator" and would kill you if you didn't vote for him. (I have yet to verify this in my travel guide.)
Off to the Lake Naivasha Simba Lodge. OMG, SO nice!! Best place so far! I'll explain... gorgeous grounds, nice people, TV!! (rare), phone, Internet!! (again, rare), a Pool, animals out our back patio AND an outdoor shower!! Need I say more?
Although, I do have to say, I was a little concerned with what wildlife was going to join me in the shower. Luckily, none did :)
Although, I do have to say, I was a little concerned with what wildlife was going to join me in the shower. Luckily, none did :)
![]() |
| From Africa or Bust |
Now for happy hour!
Tomorrow, our boat safari on Lake Naivasha and an afternoon at the pool. Awesome.
Tomorrow, our boat safari on Lake Naivasha and an afternoon at the pool. Awesome.

No comments:
Post a Comment