Monday, June 7, 2010

On our way to Samburu

I've never been very good in the back seat. Not in a car, van or bus. Actually I can't decide if cabs or buses are worse. Either way... I get car sick. I know not to sit in the back (if I can help it), not to eat before getting in the car, never attempt to read or write and always sit next to the window - fresh, cold air tends to help with nausea.

In anticipation of this trip and the hours and hours of driving we'd be doing on uneven roads and me, likely, sitting in the back of whatever van or bus we would be driving, I knew I'd have to be medicated to make it through this trip. We came to call the small dime sized Transderm patch that I wore behind me ear the miracle patch. Never in a million years did I think that by the end of this trip I would actually come to enjoy those rides in the vans. By the end of 2 weeks I was napping, reading, writing, eating, chatting, moving around, taking pictures, taking in the scenery and feeling just fine! Seriously it's a miracle patch! And I seriously didn't mind getting in the vans for a 3 hour ride. I was able to do so much I actually really came to enjoy being stuck in the van with the same 6 people. It was fun.

So this was our first long ride. Something like 5 hours to get up to Samburu but the ride was broken up by visits to curio shops and a stop for lunch.

A few tips: 1) you can ask your drivers NOT to stop at curio shops. 2) your drivers get a percentage cut from the shop of whatever you spend. 3) Even though you can bargain at curio shops, it's still more expensive than the hotel gift shops 9 out of 10 times.

Lunch was at the Trout Tree. A hidden gem down a long, ridiculous dirt driveway. We kept thinking, what could possibly be back here? A little slice of heaven. It was literally a restaurant in a tree. The floor boards were a little questionable but the ambiance, the food and services was wonderful. And trout being raised here in the middle of Kenya. We all sat together, ate, drank, laughed and then took our first nature walk looking for Colobus monkeys.

Then we set off for the rest of the trip to Samburu. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment