Wednesday, August 20th, 2009: After 2 postponements (yes, his dad is on the mend), I finally met Vivek in person. He drove himself in all the way from Princeton to meet me for dinner - 8pm, Shalel Lounge, UWS.
Do you know what's nice about dating in NYC? You never have to find out what kind of car they drive. I always wanted that fact to not influence me but I think the car you choose to drive says a lot about you - the brand, style, color, the condition you keep it in. I wanted to get to know him without any pre-judgements I came up with because of his ride. So I pretended he arrived in a cab & ignored the car when he pointed it out.
The restaurant is definitely a cool place to try once. The food was good but resembled a lot of other middle eastern food I've tried with a slight spice variation and name change. Shalel was dark, loungey and a great date place. Oh, did I say dark? Watch that first step! Yes I tripped walking in the door. Sexy.
As we talked and waited for the hostess, I very quickly realized that he was the loudest person in the restaurant. It was a very small & intimate place and I found myself getting more and more embarrassed that he was practically screaming. Our seating options : a back room the size of my cubicle with 3 other couples sitting on couches or a bench seat by the bar next to 2 girls. I jumped to choose the bar option. I wasn't about to subject the romantic evenings of 3 couples to our first date awkwardness and his megaphone vocal chords. Going with the flow and trying to be a nicer person than I am, I said nothing and hoped that the loudness was caused by nervousness and it would ease up eventually.
We sat & both ordered wine (progress!!). Vivek is tall, cute and very nice. Indian, from NJ and a doctor (bonus for me given my reaction to emergency situations-Bridget? Harry?). Strangely, he works only when he needs and makes his own schedule, filling in for people while on vacation. huh? For example, last 2 weeks in Montana, back for business school on Saturdays then 2 weeks off to do... whatever he wants. To each his own, I guess.
We talked about all kinds of things - family, TV, medicine, my work, his work, traveling... everything seemed to be going well... and then karma. I try (repeat: try) to believe that if someone does something mean, to me or anyone else, that instead of being angry at them karma will sort it out - and whatever happens, happens. Well, that apparently translates into me thinking karma should be doling out appropriate punishment, and that is all bad karma for me. Oh, Crap. Let's say after 4 glasses of wine, this didn't go over well. He apologized for saying I had bad karma and went on to add that he did know quite a bit about the subject. I changed the subject very quickly for fear of tears.
Nothing lightens the mood like a nice trip up the stairs while on the way to the bathroom. Again?! He was thoughtful when he claimed to be just as clumsy. Even with his loud volume and my bad karma, we were having a good time. We were talking a lot and clearly got a long very well.
What time is it, you ask?? 1:15 am!!! holy shit! Way past old lady's bedtime for a Wednesday. We got the check and I closed out the evening with a trip up the steps on our way out. no joke.
As we stood outside the bar, about to say bye - he offered to drive me home. I said yes but was surprised to see we were not making a move towards the car. Oh man, he's going to go for it... or so I thought. Since we stood there for so long and it was already after 1:30 am, I decided to take the wheel. Well... I was guess I was going to have to find out eventually: worst. kisser. ever.
He drove me home in his spotless clean Ford sedan (for those of you who were wondering) and suggested a walk to the water (Ha! This is so something I would say). I declined, he walked me to the door (of the building) and "kissed" me goodnight. I really wanted it to be good, but alas, it was not.
We'll see, I may give it one more try, but I'm not sure I see a Mrs. Dr. Vivek in my future.
Drat - I didn't know that about bad karma either! Guess all religions have that "turn the other cheeck" philosopy.
ReplyDeleteGuess I'll have to stop saying karma's gonna get 'em!
Sounds like an interesting fellow...Im probably looking forward to the next date more than you though!
ReplyDeleteI'm craving more posts! can you write about older escapades or maybe reflections on dating? :)
ReplyDelete