Thursday, April 4, 2013

definitely still a NYer

Ok, I'll be the first one to admit, I'm not 100% rational when it comes to my dog. I pretty much think she can do no wrong and when she does wrong she's so cute and clever doing it.

In Boston there are probably 3 parks and they are all tiny or far from where I live. The park next to me happens to have an actual dog park in it, which Ellie hates. "Hate" meaning she stands by the door and stares at me wondering when are we leaving. She smells a few butts but hardly ever engages with other dogs. She walks the perimeter of the park on the side walk because I can only assume she doesn't like the stones in the middle. So I, desperate to get my pudgy pup some exercise efficiently, let her run off leash on the grass next to the dog park. Here she's happy, she plays with other dogs, she runs after the ball (where as in the dog park other dogs steal her ball so she doesn't even bother trying to run) and she get's lots of exercise. The problem is, there are signs ALL OVER the park saying dogs can't be off leash unless in the dog park.

I've been here for 2 months and 6 days and for every day of that time, I've let her off leash in the park. There are others that do it and I've never been approached, so I think all is fine.

This week there was a park board meeting (really?) and my neighbor, who is very sweet and loves Ellie, came up to me and said "I just wanted you to know, someone might approach you about it. They requested that the neighbors start to crack down on people letting the dogs off the leash, so I'm just letting you know". (SO... is this you "telling" me to stop? not sure.) Apparently, people are upset that the grassy part of the park isn't looking as grassy because of all the dogs running on it. My first thought (to myself) is, "are you going to stop all the children from running on the grass too?". I'm a jerk, aren't I? ha! I warned you my defense of my dog is not rational! But honestly, it's grass! what else is a dog owner to do? actually WALK her dog? ugh. so I guess that's what I'll do because if you know me, you know I hate being told I've done something wrong.

So the plan: like the real New Yorker that I am, I'm going to let her off leash when no one is around and walk during the time when the rest of the complainers are awake and looking for something to complain about. As much as I enjoy Boston, I think I'll always be a New Yorker.


No comments:

Post a Comment