I'm in London. It's Thursday night and I've been here since Monday. The first 3 nights I've been in a hotel near the office and tonight is my first night in a hotel in the center of London.
Let me just say, I freaking love it! I love everything about it!! I loved my last hotel and I love this one.
I love the claustrophobic tube (hello, those ceilings are SHORT and the cars narrow)
I love that I took the commuter rail from work to London like a real commuter
I love my hotel even though I can touch both walls with my arms spread out
I love the place I had dinner tonight - Postinos. Ummm, can you say delicious???? I almost didn't want to leave. (TOTAL local find)
and I love the fact that I walked into the restaurant as two priests.
It's silly, but as I turned the corner I saw the lights and smelled the air and knew that next building was my destination (keep in mind it's 8:45pm, my nose could have any food at this point). I walked up behind 2 priests that were laughing so hard at something that it couldn't help but make you smile. You know when you see two people just barrel laugh? that laugh that is so genuine? Anyway, they stopped to look at the menu and I made a mad dash for the door. As I walked in the hostess said "table for 3?" I looked at them and said "no, table for one, and table for 2", they laughed ... and were subsequently seated first. WTF? Priority seating for priests??? Whatever. She looked at me after a very long 20 seconds and said "just you?".
I sat down at a table between 2 table of two men each. I have to say, I was comfortable and happy. It didn't bother me in the slightest that I had no one to talk to, nothing to do and was about to order a FEAST for one. The restaurant was Italian, if you didn't already know, and I later found out from the priests it was family owned (although I could have guessed that, it was so charming). They all spoke to me in 1/2 Italian & 1/2 English, the menu was HUGE and the 3 waitresses that all were all SO sweet and attentive - they repeatedly said "whatever you feel like, we can make it. just let us know". I went right to the carbonara & was SO excited... I knew it would be great with what I've seen so far.
Anyway, it was an awesome meal. The best I've had so far. I got up to leave JUST behind the 2 priests. They didn't know I was there, but I was dying to say something, laughing to myself at the coincidence.
I politely, interrupted their conversation and said "Looks like we could have had dinner together after all, ha!", they were surprised to see me and laughed again so genuinely. Father Christopher was taller, good looking, friendly and had that great laugh. Father Paul shook my hand and was very friendly. We talked briefly as we walked and and as I said "it was so nice to meet you, have a nice night" they said "It was lovely to meet you, God Bless you".
My absolute first thought was of Pop-Pop. I'm in London for the first time since I was 13. It's been years since Pop-Pop died, and although I think about him often, I've rarely feel like he is here with me like I did tonight. Pop Pop is the one person I remember so clearly saying often "God Bless You", and not in the 'I just sneezed sense'. It was a genuine 'I want the best for you and know God is listening' sentiment.
It was a great encounter that just topped an already great day.
I can't freaking wait to see what tomorrow has to offer!!
(I'd also like to remind you of my pre-london anxiety dream... well, clearly, that dream can SUCK IT!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment