Friday, December 10, 2010

dog food with no dog

Today was my last work day in London and to celebrate my friend Carla made me a reservation at Bar Boulud at The amazing Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Um, gorgeous!!

Luckily, the day was so crazy I missed lunch (a very rare occasion). So when it came to dinner time, I decided if I walked to the restaurant from my hotel (about 35 mins), and with only having eaten a mini muffin for breakfast, I was able to order whatever I wanted. And, OMG, did I ever!!

I started with wine and bread and butter (of course, my faves). THEN...

cervelas lyonnais en brioche
lyon specialty sausage
pistachio and black truffle in brioche

loup de mer aux figues et fenouil
sea bass cooked la plancha
roasted figs and fennel, bordelaise sauce

super green spinach (amazing by the way!)

... aaaand, another glass of wine.

It was decedent and DELICIOUS!! I loved every bite!

It was 9:45pm when I left and I decided, stupidly, to walk home. Let's just say, the last few days of wearing heels, when I don't usually, has taken a toll on my poor feet. So, I walked slow and after maybe 30 minutes was only about 10 minutes away from the hotel, definitely ready for a rest. At that point, I came across the most friendly looking homeless woman sitting off to the side of the sidewalk with her ADORABLE pit bull dog. She was literally tucking him in under a blanket to keep him warm. My heart sank for them.

I looked in my pockets and could only find a few coins which I gave her (another very rare occasion for me). As I continued walking, my feet cursing me with every step at this point, I decided to do something for them. I just had this crazy amazing meal, it was the right time to do something nice for someone else. So I walked maybe 8 minutes to the nearest store, which happened to be a SUPER-store (ugh, feet-not-happy). After another 15 minutes of trying to find dog food and appropriate homeless-friendly food (I had NO idea what to get), I finally decided on oranges, water and mini-muffins. For some reason I knew that selection wouldn't have been her first choice but, hey, she wasn't with me and at this point I can barely walk.

So I bagged up my purchases - which, because of sneaky 2 for 1 deals, has now grown to 2 waters, dog food, 2 bags of oranges (2 for 3 pounds) and a package of mini-muffins. Come on, I had to get equal as much for her as I did the dog... I didn't want to be rude.

So I walk 8 minutes back to where she was sitting to find she was gone. yes. GONE. Seriously?? What was I going to do?! I have all this stuff!! I even set off to look for her until my feet could no no longer make it. I turned and decided to head home.

As I turned, a man was going through the garbage. I gave him the oranges and he so surprisingly said "you don't need them??" Really? even the English homeless are so much more polite than most Americans! I said "I bought them for someone who doesn't need them" and gave him one of her waters as I walked away, he of course said "thank you" very sweetly.

SO, back at my hotel, and nursing my pained feet with chocolates from the front desk, I still have the bags with dog food, one water, muffins and one bag of oranges. I'm going to try one more time tomorrow to find her and then give it away. Sad, because if I don't find her, who will want the dog food? You should have seen him, he was SO CUTE!!

Keep your fingers crossed my feet will be able to keep up with my extensive walking plans for tomorrow. Hopefully more comfortable shoes will do the trick. And maybe I'll be able to find her after all, you never know! Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment