Our family thanksgiving seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year. My lovely grandmother passed away this year, my brother doesn't come home anymore for the day (the committed Floridian that he is) and sister is newly single (don't get me wrong, I'm glad that seat is empty). So it's only 4 of us - mom, dad, my sister & me. Do we cook any less food? Not a chance. The goal is to eat more to make up for the empty seats. But what we don't do is say what we're thankful for. I know it's a little cheesy, and, like my family, I actually doubt that other families really go around the table and announce what they are thankful for.
I'm going to visit my grandmother for a few days this holiday. I am very close with my grandmother & have tremendous respect and admiration for her. Over the years, and after many many hours of sitting on the stools in her Florida kitchen chatting, I have learned she has tremendous respect and gratitude for what she's been given in life. I've heard these words from her mouth so many times I think it's branded me.
A number of years ago, I was in Chicago for a family wedding. Much of my family was there and we stayed at a very fancy hotel, thanks to my Uncle. So fancy that my sister & I, in our casual sneakers, were asked to use the "alleyway service exit" to leave the hotel. Sneakers were not allowed in the lobby. We, goofballs, took pictures in the alley and laughed about the situation all day. When we got back & told the story to my grandmother, her reaction? tears. many tears.
I'll never forget this, she said something like "your uncle has worked so hard his whole life to make this possible for you. We have been so blessed and this is a gift" then she went on to say we were ungrateful. At this point, we were all crying and I was pissed. We were only laughing and did not mean to seem ungrateful. I tried to tell her this at the time but I'm not sure she heard me. So now I try and tell her in some way every time I see or talk to her that I'm grateful. I'm still not sure she actually hears me.
A few weeks ago, my friend Rockstar was simply making conversation and asked me "what are you grateful for?". Well, did I start off! and totally took her off guard. Whoops :) Poor Rockstar, I had to explain my emotional response (see above).
I think that because I've never been really successful in communicating my gratitude to who I seriously consider to be my mentor, I tend to take the subject a little more seriously than maybe most.
So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I, sans dinner table, will tell you all what I'm grateful for. And maybe I'll actually convince my Nani and myself that it's ok.
I'm thankful for my loved ones - friends & family. My parents & siblings are kind, loving, supportive & patient. My mom is strong. My family history is vast & interesting. My grandmother & Uncle Gib have trusted, taught & mentored me. I've traveled & experienced life. I'm anxious to see & do more. I'm brave (more brave than I thought). My friends will always be there if I need them. I have a job. I'm constantly meeting and talking to people. I'm grateful that the woman on the street felt like she could talk to me & compliment my flowers. I'm grateful for my new friend who gave me those flowers. I'm approachable. I live in the greatest city the world. I'm grateful I can change my mind and that's ok. I've had a great education and have seen some amazing culture. I have healthcare. I'm grateful for my ancestors - I came from somewhere. And they are the reason I'm am who I am. They were hardworking, brave and took are of each other. I'm grateful that my taste buds keep changing (yumm), I can afford to take advantage and am open to try. I'm grateful that I know & am surrounded by such amazing people. And I try to learn from each one a little bit more about life.
Happy Thanksgiving! and a big thank you to for that entire paragraph above (and all the things I forgot to include). Now time to eat!
Johannes A. Gaertner:
ReplyDeleteTo speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven.
I'm grateful for Julie blogging! :)