This weekend I went to Mid-Jersey. At least that's what the breeders call it, I would call it the Specialty Dog Show at the Mid-Jersey Labrador Club.
I had planned to take the day off from work and enjoy the day. Instead, I worked from home (i.e. mom's home), with Molly in tow, until noon then headed off to Mid-Jersey. Sitting in the large, grassy backyard of the Day's Inn in Bridgewater, NJ, was 5 dog rings and hundreds of Labrador Retrievers. Just like you'd expect to see on TV.
I should back up. As you know, I'm thinking seriously about getting a dog. Over the last month, I feel like all I've done is research, research, research. I started with a visit last month to PA. My dad's friends live there and breed Labs. We thought who better to ask questions to than the breeders themselves. I spent a lovely Saturday afternoon with my Dad interrogating his friends on all things related to owning & training a dog. I've found dog walkers, vets, playcare groups. I've spent hours on the AKC website & others reading about different breeds. I read The Art of Raising a Puppy and Mother Knows Best. Now I'm on to "Labradors for Dummies". Surprisingly good! I've talked to breeders as well as strangers on the street about their breeds. And at the suggestion of friends, went to Mid-Jersey to talk to other Lab owners about their experiences. And yes, a Labrador is at the top of the breed options list.
Let me just say, when you're standing alone at a dog show (outside, no seats) without a dog, you feel very strange. I didn't know anyone, didn't have a dog, had NO CLUE what was going on. Honestly, I felt a little like an adult at a playground with no child. Just awkward. I tried to make conversation, the people were polite and responded but only until they got an opportunity to leave. I couldn't find a program and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on. So I decided if I wasn't going to learn anything from the owners I'd have to learn something from the dogs themselves. So I pretty much just stood, freezing, & watched their behaviors.
I think I expected to arrive and see maybe 50 dogs all perfectly well behaved. Instead, I arrived to see about 300 dogs and they were all very normal. They jumped, peed, barked, they were sweet as can be and loving to everyone they met & when asked, did exactly what they were told. They were bigger than I expected. I got a little concerned about that until I saw the handlers - young kids and old people alike were handling them just perfectly. If they could do it, so could I.
At one point I turned and saw a gorgeous 9 month old yellow lab snuggling with a man. His wife was laughing at them and told me the dog didn't even belong to him! She and her husband were nice as can be. Talked to me for probably 1.5 hours all about their dogs, the competition, the rules & the dogs at the show. We talked about me and why I was there. Of course they opened with "are you here with a dog?" No... I'm just a weirdo here to stare at all of yours. It's nice how supportive dog people are to my idea. All consistent with "don't worry, if you train him, you'll be fine wherever you live". Even if they are just being polite, it's still nice of them to say.
Anyway, dog show people take this stuff really seriously! I thought it was a little strange at times. But I guess anything could come across that way to an outsider who doesn't know the hobby. People get to know the judges and avoid those competitions with the judges that dis'ed their dog in the past. For the average dog owner there is no cash reward, only the pride of winning, and racking up points. For the breeders, winning means credibility to their farms. Apparently the Mid-Jersey show was a really big deal. People came from all over with their RVs, families and multiple dogs. It was quite the scene back behind the Days Inn. It was definitely an interesting afternoon.
The rest of the weekend was gorgeous! The leaves have changed color, Molly & I visited with the swans in the park, Mom and I took a road trip to LL Bean in PA, we scoured the dog section of the B&N, I did 3 loads of laundry AND I didn't f*** up my diet (hello, miracle). I'd say it was a very complete weekend :)
No comments:
Post a Comment