Wednesday, February 25, 2015

100 Days of Happiness: #83 - Just Do It

When I was younger I used to give blood at every opportunity. For some reason I really liked it. I think it was a combo of feeling that I was doing good and the light-headedness afterwards. Yes, that's what people in their early 20's think about. THEN the red cross starting using the blood-mobiles. The first one I went into was less than impressive. Between being a little freaked out about how clean giving blood on a bus might be AND the STALKING phone calls from the red-cross that happen after you give blood, I just stopped. I often think about donating but then my mind goes right to the bus and the phone calls.

Each day this week I've gotten on the elevator at work and read the same notice on the wall "Blood Drive March 4th". Then today, while getting ketchup for my eggs, there was a pile of book marks all saying the same thing. OK UNIVERSE! I get the point! I came back to my desk, logged onto redcrossblood.org (keyword 800south) and officially GREW UP!

Lately I've been spending my time trying to figure out how to get happy. Well, Julie, this is it. You can't just wait around for a husband or kids or a family of your own. You wonder what your purpose is? You wonder why you're not happy? Answer: You need to engage in life. You need to contribute. You need to participate. And honestly, I'm embarrassed to remember Ella's story and think about how I let a bus and stalking phone calls stop me from doing one specific thing that does make me feel like I'm part of something and that does make a difference.

So to kick off my 37th year (1 day prior), at 9:15, I'm going to step onto that bus, give them my info (and phone number), remember what a beautiful, amazing little girl Ella is and get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment