Monday, March 29, 2010

let's roll

I watch a lot of TV. I feel like I watch more than the average person but given so many people have a DVR, maybe I'm on par.

It's strange but I notice almost every time anyone on TV uses the phrase "let's roll". For example, in tonight's episode of Castle.

In the reports following 9/11, I remember hearing that one story over and over. That one guy on flight 93 from Newark to San Francisco. Todd Beamer. He had tried to make a phone call aboard the flight and ended up talking to a air-phone supervisor. On that call he told the supervisor what was going on and that they had a plan to take out the hijackers. At the end of the call she heard him say to the others "let's roll".

There were countless stories in the days, weeks, months following 9/11. Just thinking of them still make me want to cry. But this story makes me so proud. Their plan was successful in taking out the hijackers but sadly cost them their lives.

It might seem callous to use that phrase in tv shows as much as they do (provided they do it intentionally)... subconsciously connecting with viewers over this horrific day to make a good episode. But every time I hear this phrase used I think about that one guy, Todd Beamer. That one real man, who had a family, who was so brave. Who was one among many that day who selflessly acted to try and save lives.

I like it when I hear the phrase "let's roll". It reminds me that people are are good and brave and do what they can for others. It's inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment